Saturday, May 19, 2012

Christina Perri interview!

When did you start singing?
Well I started singing er I think when I was about 3, I would sing Christmas carols and I would sing in church and I would sing in my parents barber shop for all their customers that’s as early as I can remember it’s all I did. Then I got into musical theatre when I was around 9 years old and I would go for all the summer camps. I started playing guitar and piano when I was 15. I started writing songs the day I fell in love I remember thinking like this is too much I’m just a little human so I had to express myself somehow and so I wrote my first love song at 15 and now I’m 25.

How would you describe your music?
Err well I’d say its emotional erm and I’d say that it’s conflict singer/songwriter you know, I’ve got full instrumentation with the band I don’t have like you know like dance music and stuff like that. So I always say its singer/songwriter with a little dash of pop and a little dash of rock and a little dash of blues.

Where did you learn to play the guitar?

It thought myself how to play the guitar, I was 15 and my big brother plays guitar so I remember watching him my whole life and knowing what it was supposed to look like. So I remember picking up the guitar and watching my favourite band  on tv I had a little video and I paused it and I learned 3 chords it was a D, a G and an A. With those 3 chords I started to write songs and then every time I’d hang out with someone who plays guitar  they’d teach me a new chord, my guitar player Johnny just taught me a new chord like 3 days ago.

Do you have any musical inspirations?
Erm I have a million musical inspirations, erm when I was 134 I became obsessed with the Beatles and for about 2 year before I wrote a song I just studied them and they’re you know the kings of love songs so I really had a good foundations. I listened to a lot of old music too, my dad is from Italy  so I listened to a lot of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin and my mom really loves Elton John and Daryl King and James Taylor so  all of a sudden when I started playing music I had this foundation of classic singers singing some songs. My favourites are Jason Mraz, Counting Crows and Coldplay stuff like that so I grew up only listening to music and studying stuff like that.

Where did the title “Love Strong” come from and what does it mean to you?

Love strong, I feel like it means a million things, sometimes I’d like to think of it as a verb almost like what you inspire to be your whole life cause I feel like my album Love Strong they’re all songs and stories about crossing or breaking and you know I always love again, I always love a 100% again like I haven’t been hurt I feel that’s what Love Strong means to me and that’s what I hope everyone who buys my album would be inspired to be as well.

Your songs “Jar of Hearts” was featured Glee and “Thousand Years” on Twilight, how does that make you feel?
Erm I remember when all that happened, I was in shock and I was honoured. I’m a twihard so to be hanging out with the cast and see the movie early that stuff was like a magical experience for me.

Do you write all your songs?
I do, I write every single word. And I’ve been nonstop writing for album two so I’m all ready to go in the studio and get to work.

Have you ever been to asia before?
No I can’t wait!

Do you prefer performing live or in the studio?

Erm well they’re two very different things because I feel like recording in the studio.. err when I’m recording a song I have to break my heart then when I get to sing then live it’s like I get to feel better

No comments:

Post a Comment